February 21, 2008

Astros vs. Cubs linup

This is listed as a response to a comment, but I decided to make it a post also. Started as as Cub fan saying that their offense is better that the Astros. So I did some digging.

Chachi...sigh...they must be putting some strong chemicals in carpet these days.

To start, I'll give you starting pitching and 3rd base. Especially 3rd base, no contest, at least at the plate. I'll take the bullpen (having the league leader in saves in an off season deal is big) 2nd and SS like you say.

The rest
LF - Soriano vs. Lee
Soriano .299/33/70 19SB...but 130SO in 135 games. Ouch. Also has only hit 100 RBI in his carrer twice
Lee - .302/32/119 10 SB, only 63SO in 162 games. Hit 100 RBI three times in career and is smart enough a player to know that if you're going to break someone's leg, make it the worst offensive player on the team. Offensive got BETTER after that.
I'd take Lee

CF - Pie/Suld - Bourn

Pie - Um...you do know Pie hit .215 last year with a .271 OBP and has never hit .300 at a higher level than AA? Is he batting 8th?
Bourne - .277 - 18 out of 19 steals, .350 OBP
Bourne's the pick

RF - Fukodome vs. Pence
Fukodome has never hit major league pitching and when he played against top compitition as in the World Baseball Classic only hit .182
Pence .322/17/69 good defense playing out of position.
I think with Fukudome a 31 yr old Rookie vs. Pence who hit .322 as a rook and is only 24, I'll take Pence with a bigger upside...however...I'll give you a push until we see how Fukudome does in NL.

Catcher - Soto vs. Towles
Soto .389/3/8 18 games 14SO in those 18 games has to scare you a bit.
Towles .375/1/12 14 games only 1 SO (Ausmus is the back up)
Both young, too early to call, I say Push.

That leads us to 1B. Both Lee and Berkman are good players, but statistically Berkman has put up better numbers.
Last year:
Lee - .317/22/82
Berkman - .278/34/102

Since Berkman came into the league, season averages:
Lee (excluding 06 when he was out most of the year) - .281/30/87
Berkman .300/32/105
Lee hit 100 RBI once in his career, Berkman five times.
Over their career, Berkman has better numbers in .OBP, .SLG, AVG, HR and RBI in 172 less games. I'll take Berkman.

Like I said before, offensively, with the exception of 3B, Astros are equal or better than the Cubs at every position.
Cubs - 3B
Astros, LF, CF, 2B, SS, 1B
Push - C, RF

Should be interesting. Astros are going to score runs, no doubt as I think they are solid 1-8. If your #8 hitter is a .278/22/70 guy, I'm feeling pretty confident.

I guess that's why the play the games, but isn't this a fun part of the season?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Soriano is a leadoff/2 hitter so the RBI count is comparing apples to oranges. So I definitely give the nod to Alfonso due to the fact that he is a complete hitter and can do so much more on the bases.

Pence doesn't even have a full season under his belt so his edge on the Fuke isn't really there. Besides he runs into sliding glass doors, he could have at least hurt himself in the hot-tub a la Kerry Wood. Don't worry in Hunter doesn't work out, he will always have a shot a Windex commercials.

Berkman is one twinkie away from a breakdown and guarantee that Lee will outpace him this year. Lee (when healthy) is going to dominate with the others around him.

Soto is going to be the offensive threat that Barrett was minus the whole punching the starting pitcher thing. I definitely give him the edge.

Essentially I am telling you that the Cubs are going to dominate and go to the World Series this year, as I do every year. I get a small window of optimism during the season so I am going to enjoy while I can. I am predicting that the Astros will finish slightly ahead of the Pirates this year, otherwise it's too close to call. Pitching wins divisions and in the playoffs and the Astros really have a stud in Oswald, and I don't think he will even get over 15 wins this year because he is already thinking too much about life after baseball.

Hon Don Gerard said...

I concur with HITI.

I will be at the April 5 game at Wrigley v. the 'Stros, I think!

Tinker-to-Evers-to-Chance said...

I'm going to agree to disagree with the Stros Fan in Chi-Town.

BTW.....Berkman and Backe are "hurt" already. Man that Spring training will kill ya. If Lance would learn to run "normal" and not like Steven Seagal....He might be better off.

Backe is what Backe does. I figure the Astros for a .500 team Maybe. Again pitching is key. A closer is great but if you can only bring him in to "hold" a 3 run deficit.....will that really help?

Also, no response on the little wager. Although I think that my punishment was a little worse, it was still a funny and legit idea.

Btw......Was miguel going to testify? That might hurt him a little in the mental category. But I'll still pick him over The-Riot. Although you never know.

Audi 5k

Tinker-to-Evers-to-Chance said...

Also....Clemens will visit the Astros Camp. Think he'll bring "vitamins" to help the pitching staff and Berkman?