July 15, 2008

All-Star thoughts

I like the All-Star game. Check that, I love it. I remember as a kid, it was a big deal. The drive for expansion hadn't happened so even having one member from each team, everyone was worthy. Not to mention the novality of having the leagues playing each other. Back then only the All-Star game and World Series was when you could see interleague play. It was an event. The NL won every year until 83, when Fred Lynn hit a Grand Slam off Atlee Hamacker. Does it still hold the same feeling for me? Yes. Not because it means home field advantage in the series, but because it reminds me of being a kid. Isn't that what baseball should do?

I don't know about you but I root more for the local guys in the All-Star game than any other time. I want my guys to do well on the national stage...get some publicity. Let the country know what I believe, how good the local nine are every year, (yes drinking the Kool-Aid). I remember being pissed when Joe Niekro didn't get to play in the All-Star game, then the next year Jose Cruz didn't play either.

For the most part, I think the fans, at least in the NL, got it right. Except for Fukudome, one of the top two at each position was voted in. Fukudome, while not putting up spectacular All-Star number, wasn't a surprise with the on-line Japanese vote and the Cubs fans storied support. I think we're seeing a "changing of the guard" where the young guys like Hanley Rameriz, Chase Utley, Ryan Braun and Matt Holliday getting their chance. There's nothing worse then when fans pick some guy batting .250 becauase he's been there for 10 years.

I'm off to Dallas this afternoon, and yes I get in to town with plenty of time to find a good spot to watch the game.

No comments: