July 16, 2008

Halftime Thoughts and Musings

Hey all!

Much like my man, " as well. But I am home for a while and taking a minute to catch up.

Are any other Cubs fans like me all nervous that the Cubs have been so good all year? If you're a (Bleck!) Yankees or Red Sox fan, you may be familiar with being in first all year, but for we Cubs fans, this is all unsettling. I keep waiting for a '07 Rockies team to come out of nowhere and foul the whole thing up. But the more I see the other leagues (The NL West... Are you kidding me?!) the more confident I feel... Which just scares me more. Ah, well... Such is life when you're a Cubs fan I guess.

Our slogan of, "Six Degrees of Mediocity" seems to be a bit of an understatement. If the last place team in the division were sitting in the West, they'd be only a couple of games out at the break. San Francisco at 15 games under .500 is only seven games out of first, and Arizona is under .500 at the break. I think even I could manage a team in that division!

Back to the NL Central... The top two teams in the wildcard race, and arguably the most dangerous teams in the playoffs would be the Cards and the Brewers. I don't know what smoke and mirrors the Cars are using to keep afloat, but the Brewers with that lineup and as good a front two starters are there are outside of Chicago (tongue in cheek only slightly) makes them very dangerous if they make the playoffs.

A final note about the All Star game: I went to bed in the 11th, but the game was REALLY good. Far better than most I remember. It would be really interesting if the Rays and Cubs end up reaching the Fall Classic since both are outstanding on their own turf but below .500 on other ground. It would be so like the NL if that series came down to a deciding Game 7 in Florida.

That's the good thing about baseball, though... It, like a box of chocolates, is something where you never know what you'll get.

God bless us all.

No comments: