March 24, 2008

Cubs Pitching Settled.... For Now...

So the Cubs have named their starting pitchers... And they promptly go out and give up four runs in 4 plus innings (Dempster) and SIX walks in 1 1/3 innings (Hill). Now if THAT doesn't inspire confidence... Geesh!

In all seriousness, if Wood can pitch like he has this spring (10IP, 0BB, 8k), and Marmol can be the person he's been this spring and last year (2.00ERA) then the last part of the ballgame should shape up very nicely for the Cubs. I'm still going to hold my breath every time Dempster gets the ball (in case people have forgotten, the last time he was a starter he had an ERA of over 5.5). and I do worry about Hill's high walk rates, but I feel really good about the other three. This is until Marquis's second half breakdown.

On the hitting side, the team finally has some timely hitting, and after being 6-12 at one point are almost back to .500. I've always felt that the first two weeks of Spring Training were for working on things. It's the last two weeks of training that start to show what kind of team you're going to field this year. I'll admit that I have not kept as close an eye as I should on the rest of the teams in the NL Central, but from what I can see of this team, they should be able to hold their own against even the "Mighty Mets". I'm very excited about the coming year... Let the games begin!!!

One more thought... I am going to be in St. Loius next week, and a Cardinals friend of mine scored me tickets to the second game of the season on Wednesday. I know, it's almost an oxymoron to say, "Cardinals friend", but coming from downstate Illinois, you learn to live with 'em. ;-) The Cards play the Rox, and of course I will be there... IN MY CUBS SHIRT! Go Cubs!

-Til Next Time...

No comments: