September 16, 2008

I Don't Want to Say I Told You So, But...

I said during the losing streak that I was happy that the Cubbies were in a funk and I was.... Shall we say... Scoffed at. But look at them now. Again, it's still too early to be too giddy, but they looked REALLY good "at" Houston. As I write this, they are winning 4-3 against Milwaukee in the bottom of the 8th inning. Should this continue, the magic number will be 4, I believe. Not too shabby for the swoon. ;-)

I really feel badly for Houston. I would have loved to had them play here. I don't think it was all that fair of them to play just 90 miles from Chicago. I think that if they wanted to play at a neutral site, they should have picked Florida. After all, neither of the Florida teams seem to be using them much, even during their home games!! ;-) Seriously, I think that they should have tried to play on the West Coast, but even then since the Cubs have such a large fan base compared to Houston, even that may have felt like a home game for the Cubs. Maybe Arlington would have been a good choice, but I don't know the schedule and I am sure they were worried about Ike there as well.

Speaking of Ike... Going through a hurricane ia NOT the part that sucks! Going through the RECOVERY is. I spent two hours and ten minutes today in line for gas! There is no perishable food, so no meat, eggs, cheese, etc. Most of these things should be back in a week or so, but still it's no fun. I have been without power since Friday evening at 9:00. I don't have a generator, and the only way I am able to use the computer is through a power inverter attached to my car battery. I had less than 1/2 tank of gas when I refueled today and went a total of 71 miles since I had to leave the car running most of the time to keep the battery charged. It's still better than most people who had nothing for power, and many thought the hurricane would miss us and didn't gas up, buy food, make ice beforehand, etc and now are struggling for anything they can find. Many on Galveston lost their homes, so compared to most, we got off very well. Still, I will be VERY glad when the power comes back.

Getting back to the NL Central... Does anyone else think that we should get rid of the "NO NL Wildcard" sign on our blog page? ;-)

Until next time... stay safe, everyone, and pray for a speedy recovery to all of us affected in any way by Ike.

No comments: