September 17, 2008

What a Joke! A Cubs Fan Perspective

I agree with "Let's Go Astros"... And I don't. Allow me to explain:

I totally agree with the agitation at Cubs fans that had, "Thank you, Ike" signs and the like. It is indeed rude and totally insensitive not only to the Astros, but to the victims of the hurricane to reduce it to such meaningless drivel. I should know, as I am one of those victims. I live in Pearland, TX and have been without main power for almost a week. The sad thing for all of us is that I have fared much better than most, and this is my exact point. Many, MANY people have suffered because of the hurricane, and to thank Ike for ruining a baseball series shows a remarkable lack of any decorum on their part.

However...

As in all things, those few Cubs fans don't speak for the VAST majority of Cubs fans that not only support the Astros and the people of Houston, but hurt with them when they hurt. They feel the same human compassion that most people share. I am betting that there were as many people holding signs like, "Our prayers are with you!" but those signs don't have the emotional impact. It's like any other "shock" medium. You always see the shootings on the news and never the guy holding the door open for the little old lady. It's just not as newsworthy, and I completely believe that this is what you saw from the game.

Talking about the game for a minute, Carlos was brilliant... Most baseball people know that he's certainly capable of throwing a no-no on any given night, so the fact that he threw one should not be any big surprise. To me, the bigger telling factor is not this game, but the next one. Ted Lily's one hitter to me showed how tired and unsettled the Astros were. For that, I am really apologetic.

The reality is that there was just no other alternative. Between Drayton's insistence that they wait for the hurricane to decide what it's going to do, MLB's not imposing a timeline and then a decision, the necessity that there be enough money in it to play the games, and the need for the logistical setup to be completed (ushers, concession workers, ticket sales, etc), Milwaukee was the only place that worked. Arlington was empty, but no one could guarantee that the hurricane wouldn't go right up I45 and rain those games out. All minor league parks were out due to gate receipts, logistics, or both. Ballparks like LA and Arizona wouldn't work because of the two days needed. You get the point. After considering averything, Milwaukee was the only choice.

For those that believe that they should have played at the end of the season, I put to you that trying to play three games in two days, then not having any time for either team (should they both make it) to prepare their rotations for the playoffs or having the ability to rest of any of their regulars just isn't fair to either team, either. Since the Cubs will have probably already clinched, it makes it doubly difficuly on the Astros should they win. Playing the games at the end of the season isn't a good option either.

All told, it sucked no matter how you slice it, and not for the game. It sucked for the reasons the game had to be moved, the reasons the games were not played somewhere else, but mostly for the people of Houston that didn't get to see their team play two (or three) home games this season.

Until next time... Let's all keep safe and pray for those that aren't able to even power on a computer or travel to a baseball game... Much less bitch about why it wasn't played in Houston.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remember the Astros were the only one that gets effected by the gate receipts. They wanted to play in Round Rock and MLB said no. Who does that hurt? Only the Astros. They actually kept the gate receipts from Milwaukee as they were the "home" team. If they played in Round Rock they would have made less money, but were willing to play there so the families could stay home. Why wouldn't MLB let them, if it only hurt the Astros?

Anonymous said...

...and one other thing. On your comment about bitching that it wasn't played in Houston, BIOYA. I'm bitching about Cubs fans. If the majority of Cubs fans are so good, why do I see them shoot double rods at Astros fans every time I see the Cubs at MMP? Why did last time I see a Cubs fan get ejected for cussing out a mother in front of her kids for a good play the Astros made? Where were the good signs you mention? I suggest you write to Allison Footer of the Chronicle and ask. When she was asked while on 1560 The Game she said there were none to be seen. I know we all want to believe in the good nature of people, but the more and more I see of some Cubs fans, they're turning into the Cowboy fans of MLB. (Most people on this blog excluded as they know when to call things for what they are).

Tinker-to-Evers-to-Chance said...

It did only hurt the Astros.....as it hurt the 3 million or so they lost. They should have played in wrigley as it would have been better for the Astros because they swept last time.

It's easy to be a Monday Morning QB here......Drayton held steady and it bit him in the butt.

Wrong or right, the Stros Needed to hit on the road anyway and since I am playing a monday morning QB.....what happend in Florida?

My guess Ike was there too in some small part.

I want to see the Astros in for many reasons........the main is that I live in Houston and a Huge Cubs fan. It would be a great series and I caould get in free.....maybe.

P.S.

Anybody have a natural gas generator? I have hot water but no power. Guess it will save on the Power bill...lol.

Tinker-to-Evers-to-Chance said...

Secondly.......Alot of Cub fans you curse are from TEXAS.....HOUSTON and such. Most are good folks and I don't believe Head in the Ivy or myself has ever been that bad. We enjoy fun and getting the other team upset.....as we did here.

I think maybe your mad that our bet.....that we didn't bet. Houston.......we have a problem.

Don't worry....Wendy's will re-open and that Baconator (the best inventions since deep fried Oreos) will keep you calm and mellow.

Anonymous said...

T-E-C.

I couldn't agree more. There's remenance there.

Sorry, I had a generator but took it back to Lowes. Power came on last during the week and it was just $800 sitting in a box.

Tinker-to-Evers-to-Chance said...

No Worries.....generator not really needed. Still no power because Centerpoint isn't in the 20th century. I got cold beer and still can watch games at a "friends" house. I do MISS LGA!!! And Pudding wrestling.