April 14, 2008

Random thoughts while procrastinating about work and waiting for lunch time.

I've got to be honest, I'm worried about Roy Oswalt. Going into the season, he was the only comfort I had in the pitching staff. After watching him Friday pitch batting practice to the Marlins, (they had like four HR's off him), there has to be something wrong. In today's paper he said he feels fine and was working in the bullpen yesterday on some mechanics, such as his arm angle and stride, which the pitching coach says is causing the ball to be flat to the plate. His next start is Wednesday in Philly, so we'll see. I think if there's not an improvement, there has to be something wrong physically. He's always been known as a "gamer", doesn't complain about injuries and pitches through them. Might need to change his tune. He's too good to pitch this bad.

Speaking of pitching, how about Wandy Rodriguez? With the reputation of Minute Maid Park as a hitters park, how does he pitch so well there? Over that past two years he has an ERA of 2.63 at home and 6.41 on the road. So far this season he's following the same trend with a home ERA of 0.63 and 7.20 on the road. Here's a shout out to Ed Wade, the GM. FIGURE OUT WHAT IT IS! If it's he needs some lovin' from his wife before game time, let her travel with the team. Does he eat Chuy's for a pregame meal? Start making large to-go orders. Get's better rest on his home mattress than a Hotel's? Make some intern start lugging the dang thing from city to city. Whatever it is, figure it out and make it happen.

I have been enjoying watching Tejada so far. He's really played well both offensively and defensively. Seems the critics that said he's lost range and was just a roid guy have made him focus and practice harder. It's definately paying off. While he's batting .319 to start the year, I've liked what he's done in the field. Nice diving stops on balls hit up the middle (did you see the double play he and Loretta turned on Saturday?) and a gun from deep in the hole.

Not as much anger from me today. I guess because it's Monday, no one's pissed me off yet and I really don't care much about anything yet this week. BTW - my second favorite team this week is the Brewers. See previous post to figure out why.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In your honor I will be devouring a chi-fri sandwich with a diet Coke.

I think all that Roy O. needs is for Uncle Drayton to dangle a new tractor in front of him again. I like Roy and know that he would play with some pain, but I truly believe that he is already thinking about life after baseball back on the farm. I think he may be a casualty of having nobody on the staff for him to compete against.

How do you fix Wandy's away ERA? Three simple words...
Holiday Inn Express

Anonymous said...

Tejada made at least three spectacular plays at Wrigley last Saturday. Very impressive.