May 20, 2008

My Moment of Clarity (Mission Statement)

I had a very "Jerry Maguire" feeling as I made the trek into work today. I know that this baseball season has all the beginnings of what could be a life changing year for my superfandom. The reality for me is that this baseball season has all the makings of being the best summer ever, or quite possibly and probably the absolute worst. I am glad that we have this place to document the victory or collapse of the Chicago Cubs. Chances are, I will probably look back on this log in 5 years and it will take me back to when the Cubs were on top and have everything to look forward to. I am spending my fist year with my son and dream of the day that the curse can be lifted and he can enjoy being a healthy and well-adjusted Cubs fan. The reality may be that he will continue the tradition and torture that comes with the end of almost every season. I think this will bring us closer. I can remember the thrill of almost going to the World Series just a few short years ago, but the bandwagon was starting to fill up and I felt that some fair-weathered fans who happen to have WGN were almost going to ruin it for me. It was a very solemn moment when I actually realized that some of these fans didn't suffer in silence as Steve Garvey laid down the hammer in '84 or experienced the collapse of '69 that was even before my time. The truth of the matter is, I wasn't ready for the Cubs to win the World Series. I think I have fully prepared for this moment either way. Last year was the lead-in that I needed to get to this point. I am ready if the Cubs are willing but must admit, the fact that Jim Edmunds is on the team taints it for me a bit. I really can't get excited when he makes a great play like he did last night on the hill vs. the Astros. Maybe as the summer sets in the mentality will change. But in the end, I am ready for what this season could bring. Now as I am grabbing the fish in the aquarium I ask you..."Who's with me?"

1 comment:

Tinker-to-Evers-to-Chance said...

Dude...You had me at "I had".